Thursday, October 13, 2011

Alaska and Northwest Trip - Days 14 and 15

Okay, so now we get to the nitty-gritty of what went wrong during our cruise.  Apparently, out in the Gulf of Alaska, there is this huge storm that is preventing us from going where we want to, when we want to.  I won't go into the details of why, but we missed 2 port calls and Glacier Bay.  So I hoped you enjoyed the Juneau pictures because shore-time in Alaska is over.  Now, as anyone who's cruised before knows, the cruise line has ZERO responsibility for weather related re-routes or delays.  Despite this, and a lot of pissed off customers who don't understand this, the crew really tried their best to make things up.  They scheduled a TON of extra activities, cranked the food to another level, opened the bars for free for two hours, and harassed the corporate office incessantly.

Let me make it clear, despite the schedule issues, we had a great time on the cruise.  The food was top-notch, the crew was invariably friendly and fun, and the views (when we could go outside) were spectacular!  I would not hesitate to do it again.  And I will...

Because, despite having no requirement to do it, Holland America refunded 25% of our purchase price.  Cold, hard, cash.  I expected (and received) some future cruise credit, but you don't get refunds for weather.  So that was awesome.  They also threw in a 50% future cruise credit.  So, if I cruise with them again, I get 75% of what I paid for this cruise back.  That is stepping up to take care of the customer.

But you want to see pictures:


















No comments:

Post a Comment