Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tomatoes - Summerville, SC

We hadn't eaten here in a while, so we thought we'd see if they were as good as we remembered.  Turns out, not so much.  A lot of things have changed, many not for the better.  There were a lot of little issues, and the food did not impress.  Our waitress was quiet and soft spoken, and didn't have a good handle on the menu.  I asked what beers they had, and the only decent one was Sam Adams, so I ordered it.  She came back and told me they didn't have it, so I ordered wine.  Thank goodness the wine was good, or I would have been really pissed off to see them bring a Sam Adams to a person at a table near us.  I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that he ordered the last one before I did - but it's still no excuse for a crappy beer menu.

The menu changed a bit.  The Pesto dish Kari liked was gone.  The salads also changed a bit - we remember larger and better vegetable variety.

The biggest issue I think was how stingy the dishes were with meat.  Five overcooked shrimp in the Scampi, and very few pieces of sausage or chicken in the Sausage dish.  At least mine had a flavorful sauce.  I had the Mark's Favorite with the Sherry Sauce.  The Sausage was good, as well as the sauce, but there wasn't enough meat.  The chicken was a little overcooked.  I gave it a 3.25.

Kari had the Shrimp Scampi.  Bland, almost tasteless, with overcooked shrimp, probably frozen shrimp.  Very disappointing.  2.25


The staff was milling about, very low energy and uninterested.  There's something going on here that isn't good.  Probably will not be back.

http://tomatoesitalianrestaurant.com/index.html

Tomatoes Italian Ristorante on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment